Galashiels Golf Club was formed in 1884 and golf was played over the Ladhope Estate until 1893, when it was decided to disband the club because the land was to be used as grazing land during the summer months. Fifteen years later, the club was reformed, and the land of the Ladhope Estate, over which the golf course was played, was gifted to the people of Galashiels by Mr Hugh Roberts. By 1914, the club had grown the course to a full length 18 holes, however, the ensuing Great War affected the growth of the club during this time and it wasn’t until the conflict ended that the club really began to prosper. In 1919, Galashiels Golf Club tasked none other than James Braid, five time Open champion and legend of the game, to redesign the course. The new course was officially opened with an open competition, sponsored to the tune of £300 (similar to the prize money of major tournaments) by the Merchants of Galashiels, duly won by Braid himself with another legend of the game, Harry Vardon taking the runner-up spot.
The club and course remained largely untouched for the next 70 years, until, in 1992 the Golf Club took control of the course from the local council and developed the course in the subsequent few years. Unfortunately, due to financial constraints, the club had to take the decision to cut the course down to 9 holes in 2007. For 130 years, the club has been an integral part of the history of Galashiels; the club is committed to ensuring that it remains this way for at least another 130 years.